Easter Holiday Hazards for your Pets!

During the Easter Holiday there can be some increased risks for our pets in our homes.

Chocolate toxicity seems to have wormed itself into our collective consciousness as the biggest risk to pets since the chicken bone. In reality, it takes a pretty large amount of milk chocolate to make a dog sick, and even more to cause life-threatening medical issues. But it can happen. This rarely is a problem for cats as they seem less attracted to chocolate.

There’s a great deal of variation between individual dogs in terms of how susceptible they are to chocolate. The concentration  of the toxin (known as theobromine, a cousin of caffeine) varies quite a bit between chocolates; dark chocolate is worse for dogs than milk chocolate, and unsweetened or baker’s chocolate is the most toxic. In general it takes about a kg of milk chocolate per 20 kgs  of body weight to consider it a potential problem.

A bigger fear during around Easter is the lily. This is a serious source of toxicity for cats and ( less so ) for dogs.

Every part of the plant — leaves, stems, petals — are a serious risk to your cat’s health. Even a small amount of pollen or the water in the vase  can cause life-threatening medical issues. It is thought that just a few bites of the stem of some lilies can be life threatening for a cat. The damage is done to the kidneys, and death can occur as soon as one to two days after ingestion.

Lily toxicosis is treatable if is caught very early: the cutoff for success is about 18 hours after ingestion. Beyond that point, the chance of treating kidney failure from lilies becomes quite remote. Treatment involves stopping further absorption  (usually through making them vomit) and then IV fluid therapy for a few days to help flush the toxic metabolites from the pet’s body.  Lab tests tell us how successful therapy has been.

Over Easter, make sure your pets have no access to chocolate, lilies or any other hazardous household substance.

Everyone at GVH wishes you and your family a safe and happy Easter Holiday.

Dr. Tom Honey



Together, let's maintain and maximize your pet’s health... for life!

ask the vet


Doctor of Veterinary Medicine / Hospital Director

Dr. Tom Honey hails from Campbellford, Ontario. His veterinary education took him to the esteemed Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph, followed by several years in Toronto area practices.

Dr. Honey believes his role is to advocate for pet health, starting with illness prevention. At the same time, he is committed to developing leading edge diagnostic and treatment techniques. He engages in countless hours of continued education in dental care, diagnostic ultrasound and internal medicine. These tools help him diagnose and best treat patients suffering from health problems ranging from the common to extremely obscure.

Other articles you may like...

Tick Paralysis Golden

Signs of Tick Paralysis


Tick Activity

dog loves you

Signs your dog loves you!


Signs your cat loves you!

Monthly Focus – Pet Safety on Valentine’s Day

Monthly Focus – Winter Care for Your Pets

Recent Posts

Signs of Tick Paralysis

Tick paralysis is a fairly common condition affecting cats and dogs in Australia. It is rare in...
Read More about Signs of Tick Paralysis

Tick Activity

During colder weather ticks are less active. On days when it is less than 4...
Read More about Tick Activity

Signs your dog loves you!

🐶What better way to celebrate this Valentine’s Day than learning 5 signs that your dog...
Read More about Signs your dog loves you!